The Atlanta metro area is notorious for its bad traffic. If you commute for work, you have seen how the heavy traffic creates dangerous situations. No matter how safely you drive, you may not be able to avoid an accident. So how can you stay prepared?
If you get in an accident, you may find it overwhelming. The accident can leave you confused and disoriented. But knowing what to do after the accident can help you prepare to deal with the aftermath. Here are some tips for what to do if you’ve been in an accident:
- Stay calm – An accident can raise your heart rate and adrenaline. If it is safe to do so, take a few deep breaths and try to relax yourself.
- Check for injuries – Do a quick check of yourself to see if you have any serious injuries. If you had passengers, check to see if they have any injuries as well.
- Call the police – Make sure the police have a report on file about the accident. If there are injuries, make sure they send an ambulance as well. When you talk with police, answer their questions truthfully, but do not admit any fault.
- Exchange information – You and the other driver need to exchange your names and phone numbers, insurance information and car information.
- Check for damages – Document any damages caused to your car. Take pictures if you can. Many insurance companies let you upload photos of the accident to their mobile application or email. Keep a notebook or form in your car so you can document all the details about the accident. The sooner you write everything down, the more accurate your details will be.
In your documentation for the insurance company, document any pain you feel, even if it is minor. You may not feel some injuries until a day or two later.
Filing an insurance claim to pay for high bills
A car accident can be a stressful, life-threatening event for you. But staying calm and gathering as much information as possible can help you in filing an insurance claim. As you deal with the cost of medical bills and fixing your car, you will need insurance to help as much as possible. You may also be able to file a personal injury claim against the other driver.
Driving in Atlanta traffic can be dangerous. Make sure you stay prepared for an accident.